HPC Research Scientist
- This position offers the possibility to acquire a PhD degree -
Steinbuch Centre for Computing (SCC)
The Steinbuch Centre for Computing (SCC) is a central scientific institution of KIT in connection with tasks in research, teaching, and innovation and performs overarching services within KIT and for external parties.
The JRG-FiNE group develops the high performance, sparse linear algebra framework Ginkgo, which is currently integrated into a wide range of simulation frameworks such as MFEM, deal.II, and openCARP and a partner in several major research projects such as WARMWORLD, MICROCARD, ECP Multiprecission Effort.
The applicant will work within a project focused on the integration of modern linear equation solvers and linear algebra techniques into the OpenFOAM framework, with a special focus on GPUs. This includes the following sub-tasks:
- Research of suitable methods for an efficient solution of linear systems on GPUs;
- Creation of best practice guides regarding optimal use fluid flow solvers with offloaded GPU backend;
- Definition and implementation of an interface to abstract the memory location of OpenFOAM data structures in order to make the offloading to GPUs more efficient;
- Implementation of unit tests of the corresponding functionalities;
- Implementation of functionalities for the realization of unsteady flow simulations of objects with rotating geometries like rotors;
- Documentation of the developed and implemented algorithms.
This position offers the possibility to acquire a PhD degree
as soon as possible
- university degree (Masters / Diplom (Uni)), ideally in the area of computer science or engineering
- Knowledge of C++ is mandatory and of modern HPC systems (i.e. simulations, parallel applications and capability computing)
- A strong background in either numerical linear algebra or fluid flow simulation methods is desirable.
- Confident attitude and very good communication skills
- Good language skills in English
- Knowledge of python, cuda, hip, portable device programming and sustainable software development (git, CI, CB, unit tests, etc.) is a strong plus.
The SCC offers you an exciting and varied job within an agile team as well as a wide range of training opportunities and flexible and family-friendly working time models. For more information about SCC as your new work home, please visithttps://www.scc.kit.edu/en/aboutus/working-at-scc.php
We are looking forward to your application (Motivations letter / CV / Certificates)!
Salary category 13, depending on the fulfillment of professional and personal requirements.
limited up to August 31, 2025
Application up to
Contact person in line-management
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Hartwig Anzt, E-Mail Hartwig.email@example.com
Bitte bewerben Sie sich online über den unten stehenden Button für die Ausschreibungsnummer 769/2022.
Wir streben eine möglichst gleichmäßige Besetzung der Arbeitsplätze mit Beschäftigten (w/m/d) an und würden uns daher insbesondere über Bewerbungen von Frauen freuen.
Bei gleicher Eignung werden anerkannt schwerbehinderte Menschen bevorzugt berücksichtigt.
Bei allgemeinen Fragen zur Bewerbung:
Personalservice (PSE) - Personalbetreuung
Telefon: +49 721 608-25029,
Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)