IMT 42-2022 Bachelor or Master Thesis: Thermal microactuation using shape memory smart materials for waste heat recovery
Institut für Mikrostrukturtechnik (IMT)
Among the various transducer materials, shape memory alloys (SMAs) offer a number of unique properties including thermoelasticity, superelasticity, actuation at highest work densities up to 107 Jm-3 and self-sensing. SMA actuators make use of temperature-induced martensitic transformation allowing for high actuation force and stroke length. Their characteristic of being a “smart material” becomes particularly advantageous upon miniaturization, as technology constraints pose severe limitations on the number, geometry and size of functional structures.
The goal of the Master Thesis will be to explore the potential of the shape memory effect in a novel out-of-plane actuator design for miniature actuation applications, with emphasis on utilization of low-grade heat as heat source < 200 ℃.
- Characterization of SMA material properties (structure, mechanical, thermal)
- Design development based on lumped element modelling (Matlab/Simulink)
- Prototype development including fabrication technology, performance control and characterization
- Design and fabrication of SMA microactuators
- Development of test setup
- Characterization of mechanical and thermal performance
- Evaluation of performance results and design optimization
- Development of control strategy
To carry out the work, the IMT has extensive state-of-the-art equipment (600 m² clean room, rapid prototyping processes such as 3D printing and laser cutting, assembly and joining technology laboratories, various metrological laboratories). Intensive support ensures that the work can be carried out within the given time frame.
- Field of study: Mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, physics and related programs of study.
- We are looking for ambitious, creative and self-motivated individuals, who like to work in a multidisciplinary and international team.
Contact person in line-management
For further information, please contact Dr. Jingyuan Xu, phone +49 721 608-22752, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bitte bewerben Sie sich online über den unten stehenden Button für die Ausschreibungsnummer IMT 42-2022.
Ausschreibungsnummer: IMT 42-2022
Bei gleicher Eignung werden anerkannt schwerbehinderte Menschen bevorzugt berücksichtigt.
Bei allgemeinen Fragen zur Bewerbung:
Personalservice (PSE) - Personalbetreuung
Frau Carrasco Sanchez
Telefon: +49 721 608-42016,
Kaiserstr. 12, 76131 Karlsruhe