Research Software Engineer (f/m/d) for the Management of Satellite Data
Steinbuch Centre for Computing (SCC)
In November 2020 the Steinbuch Centre for Computing (SCC) was selected as centre for national high performance computing (NHR).
In the context of our NHR activities and of a collaborative project between the Data Analytics, Access and Applications (D3A) department of the SCC and the Institute of Meteorology and Climate Research – Atmospheric Trace Gases and Remote Sensing (IMK-ASF) we are looking for a Research Software Engineer (f/m/d) for the management of satellite data, immediately, limited for 3 years
The SCC is a central scientific institution of KIT in connection with tasks in research, teaching, and innovation and performs overarching services within KIT and for external parties.
The department Data Analytics, Access and Applications (D3A) is responsible for federated access methods for distributed storage and cloud services, the development and application of scalable tools for Data Analytics and Machine Learning, joint research and development with domain scientists, contributions to the European Open Science Cloud and the integration of research communities in the context of several EU projects.
For this position we collaborate closely with experts in the field of generating high quality satellite remote sensing data for weather and climate research, whose amount and diversity is strongly increasing. The scientific impact of these data is most-efficiently guaranteed by their dissemination according to the specific needs of the data users (e.g., weather and climate modellers) and by fully exploiting synergies between divers data sets (e.g., by means of data fusion). The goal of this position is to support a user-oriented dissemination of our satellite data (focus on the data generated by the MUSICA IASI processor) and to contribute to a further development of our satellite data fusion activities.
The tasks include:
- Examination, software development, and application of different data fusion methods (focus on Kalman filter data fusion and their use on HPC systems).
- Development of a software for merging data sequences from large NetCDF data files in an efficient manner (optimization of task management and I/O operations) and of an interface for using the merging software via the “Helmholtz ATMO Hub”.
- Support the developments for the optimization of the MUSICA IASI processing chain.
- Documentation and publication of results (presentations on international conferences, organization of training events, seminars, hackathons, guided tours)
- Support of atmospheric scientists in optimal usage of new heterogenous HPC architectures.
as soon as possible
- Diploma (University)/Master with a major in computer science, software engineering or comparable
- Practical experience with research data management (RDM)
- Strong interest in applications in the climate and environment research area
- Proven experience in documentation, teamwork, and written and spoken English skills
SCC offers an exciting and varied job within an international and diverse environment - in terms of scientific and geographical background, expertise and languages (people at the SCC belong to more than 20 nationalities), age and gender. We operate one of the most modern, energy-efficient and powerful IT infrastructures in Germany with high-performance computers/supercomputers with GPUs, multi-petabyte storage systems, scaling cloud environments and cutting-edge AI hardware. We work in flat hierarchies and topic-oriented teams, offer excellent professional development opportunities as well as a high degree of self-responsible work. For us, work-life balance is important; this includes flexible working time models and opportunities for mobile work and New Work. For more information, please visit www.scc.kit.edu.
Salary category 13, depending on the fulfillment of professional and personal requirements.
limited up to 3 years
Application up to
Contact person in line-management
For further information, please contact Dr. Jörg Meyer, email@example.com, phone +49 721 608-24327 or Dr. Matthias Schneider, firstname.lastname@example.org, +49 721 608-26222
Bitte bewerben Sie sich online über den unten stehenden Button für die Ausschreibungsnummer 447/2022.
Wir streben eine möglichst gleichmäßige Besetzung der Arbeitsplätze mit Beschäftigten (w/m/d) an und würden uns daher insbesondere über Bewerbungen von Frauen freuen.
Bei gleicher Eignung werden anerkannt schwerbehinderte Menschen bevorzugt berücksichtigt.
Bei allgemeinen Fragen zur Bewerbung:
Personalservice (PSE) - Personalbetreuung
Telefon: +49 721 608-25029,
Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)