ITEP 01-21 Master Thesis: Commissioning and operation of a battery storage system
Institut für Technische Physik (ITEP)
The regulation of electric power utilities, advancement in technology, environmental concerns, and emerging power markets are leading to increased interconnection of distributed generators to the utility system. This is leading to the integration of a large number of distribution generation (DG) systems to utility network. Small DG systems based on battery storage systems with a capacity smaller than 20 kW are gaining popularity among private sector in the last few years due to their higher operating efﬁciencies and low initial cost. Especially the combination of battery storages and micro gas turbines is very interesting in the research sector.
The aim of the work is to commission and operate an existing battery storage system.
To provide a better insight into the expected content of the Master thesis project, requirements and expectations are listed in the following:
- Read literature and summarize the state-of-art approaches for modelling a battery storages, in particular for lithium ion.
- Implement a stable communication to operate the battery system.
- Implement the selected model in a non-real-time simulation environment using MATLAB or MATLAB/Simulink.
- Implement the same model in a real-time simulation environment such as RT-LAB or RTDS.
- Validate the model with experimental results, using data provided by an operation of the battery storage (optional).
- Make a clear and comprehensive presentation and evaluation of the results. All results should be documented adequately.
as soon as possible
- A background in electrical engineering is required for this project.
- Experience in programing using MATLAB or simulations using MATLAB/Simulink is a plus.
- Knowledge about power system simulations is a plus.
- Language: German or English
Contact person in line-management
For further information, please contact Dustin Kottonau, e-mail: email@example.com, Tel. 0721 608-26483.
Please send your application in electronic form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
vacancy number: ITEP 01-21
Recognized severely disabled persons will be preferred if they are equally qualified.