IMT 15-20 Internship/ Bachelor- or Master Thesis: Micro-structuring of diamonds decorated with NV-centers and their optical characterization
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) – The Research University in the Helmholtz Association creates and imparts knowledge for the society and the environment. It is our goal to make significant contributions to mastering the global challenges of mankind in the fields of energy, mobility, and information. For this, about 9300 employees of KIT cooperate in a broad range of disciplines in research, academic education, and innovation.
Institute of Microstructure Technology (IMT)
The aim of harnessing the outstanding optical, electrical, and magnetic properties of the crystal defects in diamond make it an interesting target in the scientific community. Development of a robust approach for microscale diamond patterning opens new doors to the introduction of ultra-sensitive NMR sensors and DNP polarizers.
We are looking for highly motivated candidate with a strong interest for development and experimental works. This project includes two main parallel parts:
(1) Development and optimization of a diamond micro-patterning method: some options include photolithography, electron beam lithography, and nanoscribe 3D printing. These methods are available at IMT and provide a perfect platform for micro- and nano-fabrication.
(2) Optical detection: the optical response of the NV centers in the patterned diamond has to be detected using an optical setup. The optical components and workspace is available, and the candidate will be responsible for assembling the measurement system.
Using the facilities of the Institute of Microstructure Technology, the candidate will get the opportunity to do an exciting research and gain precious experience.
Further information on the Institute of Microstructure Technology (IMT): www.imt.kit.edu/
as soon as possible
- Cleanroom experience
- Interest and experience of working with optical setup and optical components
- Enthusiast to work in an interdisciplinary environment
- Highly motivated, independent thinker
- Good proficiency in English (both speaking and writing
Field of study: Physics /Optics and Photonics/ Mechanical engineering/ Materials Science/ and related fields
limited to 3-6 months.
Contact person in line-management
Dr. Neil MacKinnon, IMT,
+49 721 608-29314 (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dr. S. Hoda Moosavi, IMT,
+49 721 608-29318 (e-mail: email@example.com)
If qualified, severely disabled persons will be preferred.
Please apply online using the button below for this vacancy number IMT 15-20.
Personnel Support is provided by
Telefon: +49 721 608-25184,
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1, 76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen, Germany