IPE 10-20 Inernship or Masterthesis: Evaluation and comparison of meshing and FEM packages in multimodal 3D breast image registration
Institute for Data Processing and Electronics (IPE)
Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women worldwide: more than 1.6 Mio. cancers are diagnosed per year according to WHO cancer statistics. At Karlsruhe Institute of Technology an automated method for multi-modal image registration is developed. The registration allows localizing suspicious tissue structures in all modalities at a glance. Using this approach the advantages of modalities may be combined. Our method therefore contributes to multimodal diagnosis of breast cancer. The challenges for the image registration are the severe differences in image acquisition of different modalities such as patient positioning and compression state of the breast during examination. In order to overcome these challenges we apply sophisticated patient-specific biomechanical models of the breast to simulate the tissue deformation when subjected to compression.
The aim of this work is to contribute to the development of an automated workflow for the proposed patient-specific image registration method by means of extending the biomechanical model and simulation environment. Alternative volume meshing methods and/or open source finite element solvers would be analyzed and evaluated in terms of their accuracy compared to the existing ones.
- Starting point of the work will be the analysis of the current state of the registration method and development of a workplan
- Literature research of available FEM solvers (e.g. FEBio or NiftySim) and/or meshing methods and tools (e.g. 3D Slicer); analysis of requirements of our image registration methods
- Implementation of the biomechanical model for selected FEM solvers and/or implementation of an automated meshing method and its integration into the registration software
- Evaluation of results with clinical datasets.
as soon as possible
- Programming skills in MATLAB required
- Interest in medical imaging and medical image processing, in particular image segmentation and image registration
- Basic knowledge in (bio-)mechanical simulations / Finite Element simulations beneficial
- Basic mathematics, statistics
limited regarding study regulations
Contact person in line-management
For further information, please contact
Torsten Hopp, firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: +49 721 / 608 25990
Nicole Ruiter, Nicole.email@example.com, Phone: +49 721/ 608 25668
Please apply online using the button below for this vacancy number IPE 10-20.
Ausschreibungsnummer: IPE 10-20
If qualified, severely disabled persons will be preferred.
Personnel Support is provided by:
Phone: +49 721 608-25184,
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1, 76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen, Germany