ITAS 02-2023 Master Thesis: GIS-based modelling of sustainable cereal straw potentials for district heating plants – a case study for Baden-Württemberg
Institut für Technikfolgenabschätzung und Systemanalyse (ITAS)
Biomass is a widespread renewable heat source in Germany. In the area of district heating, biomass is by far the most important energy source among the renewable energy sources. The advantage of biomass over other renewable heat sources is that it can be stored and is thus suitable for providing heat in winter time and for peak loads. However, biomass is a scarce commodity that is in demand from many sides and the regionally available biomass potential is limited. In this thesis, a GIS-based analysis of sustainable cereal straw potentials in Baden Württemberg is carried out. Based-thereon, options for meeting district heat demand in winter times are analysed and suitable locations for straw-based district heating plants in Baden-Württemberg are identified.
- Presentation of background, challenges and options of municipal heat transition in Germany
- Presentation of the state-of-art of straw utilisation for district heating in Germany and relevant European countries, e.g. Denmark, economic and technical requirements of local and district heating plants/networks and existing situation in Baden-Württemberg
- Update and further development of an existing GIS-based model for the estimation of sustainable cereal straw potentials in Germany
- Use of the model for scenario-based spatial analysis of straw potentials in Baden-Württemberg to cover heat demands at the district level
- Identification of suitable locations and sizes of district heating pants
as soon as possible
- Studying in a relevant field (e.g. geoecology, environmental sciences)
- Profound skills in ArcGIS
- Knowledge in python programming
- Independent and self-reliant way of working
Contact person in line-management
For further information, please contact Dr. Martina Haase, email: email@example.com.
Bitte bewerben Sie sich online über den unten stehenden Button für die Ausschreibungsnummer ITAS 02-2023.
Ausschreibungsnummer: ITAS 02-2023
Bei gleicher Eignung werden anerkannt schwerbehinderte Menschen bevorzugt berücksichtigt.
Bei allgemeinen Fragen zur Bewerbung:
Personalservice (PSE) - Personalbetreuung
Frau Carrasco Sanchez
Telefon: +49 721 608-42016,
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1, 76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen