PhD Student (f/m/d) working on Urban Heat Mitigation through Subsurface Heat Recycling
part time 75%
Institut für Photogrammetrie und Fernerkundung (IPF)
We are seeking a PhD student to investigate the impact of subsurface heat recycling on urban climate, particularly the potential to mitigate urban heat by cooling down the subsurface.
Special focus will be on the analysis of feasibility with three key questions:
- how do climate zone and urban design play into this?
- where in the world is heat mitigation through shallow subsurface heat recycling feasible?
- who might benefit from it?
You will be part of a newly formed junior research group and join (alongside two other PhD students and a Postdoc) the project ‘Large scale assessment of the effects of sustainable heat recycling in the shallow subsurface on above ground temperatures’ funded by the Volkswagen foundation.
You will be answering the research question ‘How do subsurface temperatures impact urban climate?’. Based on preliminary analysis in Palm-4U, the state-of-the-art-tool for modelling climate in the urban boundary layer, you will use tools of geospatial data science to map the global feasibilities of heat mitigation though shallow geothermal heat recycling.
While doing so you will gain skills and experience in:
- numerical modeling in Palm-4U (supported by collaborators at theInstitute of Meteorology and Climate Research at KIT)
- big geodata analysis in python
- processing of satellite data
- geospatial data processing and visualization in google earth engine
- presenting your work to an academic and lay audience
- publishing your work in international scientific journals
as soon as possible
You must hold a master’s degree in a discipline of relevance (e.g., environmental science, meteorology, geography, geoinformatics or others) and be willing to relocate to Karlsruhe, Germany. While German language skills are encouraged, they are not required. However, English language skills are expected. Ideally you are a creative, yet analytically thinking individual with a thirst for knowledge who values a diverse workplace.
Beneficial experience and qualities include:
- Interest and/or experience in topics relevant to the project (e.g., urban heat, urban climate)
- Interest and/or experience in environmental data science and statistical analysis
- (Willingness to acquire) skills in python or a comparable program such as R or MATLAB
- (Willingness to acquire) skills in google earth engine to create interactive maps
- (Willingness to acquire) skills in Palm-4U
- Interest in trans- and interdisciplinary research.
Salary category EG 13, depending on the fulfillment of professional and personal requirements.
limited for 3 years, it is possible to extend for 1 year
Application up to
December 18, 2022
Contact person in line-management
For further information, please contact Dr. Benz, email: email@example.com.
Please send your application including a cover letter, your CV, and all certificates/referees in electronic form to: Dr. Benz, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
vacancy number: 2271/2022
We prefer to balance the number of employees (f/m/d). Therefore, we kindly ask female applicants to apply for this job.
Recognized severely disabled persons will be preferred if they are equally qualified.