ITEP 02-21 Master Thesis: Network optimization using Superconducting Cables
Institute for Technical Physics (ITEP)
Providing a reliable and secure power and energy system is one of the main challenges of the new era. The efficient operation of power systems contributes to decrease in fuel consumption and gas emission, conservation of natural resources, ensuring sustainability with better planning, and providing cleaner energy. The evolving modern optimization methods lead to more effective solutions and are promising for the continuously changing power system management, planning, and operation. New technologies based on superconducting materials are gaining popularity among private sector in the last few years due to their higher operating efﬁciencies. In special, superconducting cables are very interesting in the research sector. The integration of such technologies as well as a large number of distribution generation (DG) systems to utility network leads to the need for re-planning of the existing electrical systems. The aim of the work is to optimize an existing 110 kV network considering the inclusion of superconducting cables.
To provide a better insight into the expected content of the Master thesis project, requirements and expectations are listed in the following:
- Read literature and summarize the state-of-art approaches for optimization of electrical networks
- Implement the selected optimization method in a non-real-time simulation environment using MATLAB, MATLAB/Simulink or Digsilent PowerFactory.
- Make a clear and comprehensive presentation and evaluation of the results. All results should be documented adequately.
as soon as possible
- A background in electrical engineering is required for this project.
- Experience in programing using MATLAB, MATLAB/Simulink or Digsilent PowerFactory is a plus.
- Knowledge about power system optimization methods is a plus.
- Language: German or English
Contact person in line-management
For further information, please contact Dr. –Ing. Giovanni De Carne, e-mail: email@example.com, Tel. 0721 608-25924.
Please send your application in electronic form to:
vacancy number: ITEP 02-21
Recognized severely disabled persons will be preferred if they are equally qualified.