IMT 13-2022 Master Thesis: Bio-MEMS “CELL CLINIC” for correlative studies of human induced pluripotent stem cells
Institut für Mikrostrukturtechnik (IMT)
For the “CELL CLINIC” interdisciplinary project in collaboration with Heidelberg University, we are looking for an enthusiastic, ambitious and motivated student with interest in exploiting methods of microsystems engineering, in particular Bio-MEMS in order to address a very specific scientific question: complex screening of human induced pluripotent stem (hiPS) cells in a microfluidic controlled environment.
The overarching goal of the “CELL CLINIC” project will be to produce a Bio-MEMS platform, the so-called “CELL CLINIC”, which will allow for both electrochemical and metabolic monitoring of human induced pluripotent stem (hiPS) cells colonies. Electrochemical monitoring will be realized by electrodes integrated within the CELL CLINIC, while metabolic monitoring will be achieved by integrating miniaturized nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) detectors within the CELL CLINIC.
The specific tasks within the project will be:
- design and fabricate electrode arrays within a microfluidic environment for electrochemical monitoring of hiPS cell colonies;
- be involved, together with the partners from Heidelberg Univ., in hiPS cell colonies testing;
- integrate the CELL CLINIC with miniaturized NMR sensing capabilities. During the Master thesis, you will get hands-on experience on microcluidics design, cleanroom fabrication, micro-structural characterization, hiPS cells characterization, having the opportunity to get exposure to a wide range of instruments and techniques.
You will be integrated in the larger team of the Spin & Photon Applications (SPA-) Laboratory. Within this project, you will use the infrastructure existent at the Institute of Microstructure Technology (IMT), i.e., microfabrication facilities and micro-characterization equipment. This is a complete project, offering the possibility to fabricate and test the devices, giving you the opportunity to co-author conference and/or journal publications.
- Field of study: Mechanical/electrical/chemical engineering, Bioingenieurwesen, Chemieingenieurwesen, Biotechnologie
- good academic record (marks); curious about various aspects of science;
- enthusiastic to work in a multidisciplinary environment;
- independent thinker and team player;
- in particular: strong interest microsystems technologies, biology, medical applications;
- knowledge in microsystems/microfabrication is desirable.
Contact person in line-management
For further information, please contact Dr. Vlad Badilita, phone +49 721 608-29315, email: email@example.com.
Bitte bewerben Sie sich online über den unten stehenden Button für die Ausschreibungsnummer IMT 13-2022.
Ausschreibungsnummer: IMT 13-2022
Bei gleicher Eignung werden anerkannt schwerbehinderte Menschen bevorzugt berücksichtigt.
Bei allgemeinen Fragen zur Bewerbung:
Personalservice (PSE) - Personalbetreuung
Frau Carrasco Sanchez
Telefon: +49 721 608-42016,
Kaiserstr. 12, 76131 Karlsruhe